Dei Precision Shepherds Reg'd
The German Way!
SV Breed Standard
Verein fuer Deutsche Schaeferhunde (SV)
The founding registry of the German Shepherd. Established In 1899 and led by former cavalry captain, Max von Stephanitz,
the SV was born, and so too was the German Shepherd. "Horand v. Gafrath" acquired by Max from the Sparwasser kennel was to
be the very first dog entered into this new breed registry. The rest is history.
Since that historical day in 1899, the SV has gone to great lengths to insure the integrity of the breed.
Von Stephanitz had created an organization - the SV - for the development of his beloved breed over which he exercised absolute authority,
for he knew that the weakness of man's nature must not be allowed to stand in the way of progress. For this reason, several requirements for
breeding were established over the years.
1) BH test: This is the first rung on the ladder to achieving the rights for breeding. This test could be described as a test of
character, temperament and control in a urban environment. The BH is seen by the SV as the starting point for the career of any German Shepherd,
whatever form it may take.
2) "a" stamp: Evaluation for possession of suitable hips.
3) AD test: This is a test of endurance that includes a twelve mile run.
4) Schutzhund: A working test for obedience, agility, tracking and protection.
5) Show ranking: This has become an integral part of breed improvement.
6) Korung ( breed survey ): The final step in achieving breeding status for the German Shepherd is the Korung.
This is an evaluation by a Kormeister (Breed Master) of the complete German Shepherd dog against the standard in respect to
temperament, conformation and functional ability. Dogs recommended for breeding are admitted Into KKLI, and those suitable for
breeding are admitted into KKL2. Those not passing the Korung may not be used for breeding.
As one can see, the Germans, through the SV are very proud of their breed. By establishing such requirements for breeding, they have assured themselves of the......... Total German Shepherd.
If your not Purchasing an SV German Shepherd.......do you really know what you're getting?????
For more information about the SV and the German Shepherd read "The Essential German Shepherd" by Roy and Clarissa Allan.
Dei Precision Shepherds, Milton, Ontario, Canada
This site is owned by Dei Precision Shepherds ©